Niqnaq

moon spots another one

leave a comment »

Reuters Spreads Another Massacre Lie
Moon of Alabama, Jan 17 2013

Reuters today has Massacre of over 100 reported in Syria’s Homs:

More than 100 people were shot, stabbed or possibly burned to death by government forces in the Syrian city of Homs, a monitoring group said on Thursday, and fierce fighting raged across the country. The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said women and children were among the 106 people killed by Assad forces who stormed Basatin al-Hasawiya, a poor district on the edge of Homs, on Tuesday. Reuters cannot independently confirm reports due to reporting restrictions in Syria.

That last sentence is nonsense and is Reuters’ poor self-serving excuse for lazyness and to publish propaganda. Bill Neely (@billneelyitv) is international editor for ITV News. He is currently in Syria on a legit government visa and reports from Homs. Here are his recent tweets:

  • 9:08 AM – 17 Jan 13
    It is clear many people died in the poor farming community at the edge of #Homs. The regime & opposition both say dozens were killed.
  • 9:10 AM – 17 Jan 13
    Local men I talked to put the number of those killed in #Huwaisa at around 30, including women & at least 5 children. I saw blood & remains.
  • 9:25 AM – 17 Jan 13
    There has clearly been mass killing in #Huwaisa. It’s NOT clear who did this. Opposition blames regime forces, local civs blame Jabhat al-Nusra.
  • 9:35 AM – 17 Jan 13
    Local men in #Huwaisa described rebels who came to area to attack army, some in “black uniforms,” some wearing headbands with Jihadi slogans.
  • 9:36 AM – 17 Jan 13
    Many local men in #Huwaisa cried as they met each other. 1 lost 2 brothers, another his wife & sister. They said rebels were different, not FSA.

Who will know better who killed the people in Huwaisa? The local people on the ground or Reuters propaganda source which sits somewhere in Britain?

Update, Jan 18
Neely’s report is out:

I saw blood and human remains inside one house. Local men say a woman and five children were killed there. They say rebels in black uniforms had come to the house and wanted to use the roof to attack the base. Many of the locals had refused. At that point, say the men, they were shot. The bodies of the women and children were burned. I saw blood on the floor, a room where there had been a fire and human remains. The children’s clothes were hanging on a washing line. The men said the fighters were different from before. They wore “black uniforms” and had headbands with Jihadi slogans. One young man was very animated, wide-eyed, as he described these men. Most were Syrian, they said, some were not. One said they were from Jabhat al-Nusra.

Further update by me, not Moon. BBC bullshitting about it:

BBC sees evidence of Homs massacre
BBC, Jan 18 2013 (extracts)

The BBC has found evidence to support reports from Syria of a massacre this week in which at least 100 people were killed and burned in their homes. A team visited the village of Haswiya, on the edge of the central city of Homs, and saw charred bodies still lying inside one of the houses. Government soldiers said all the bodies had been taken away and blamed Islamist militants fighting with the rebels. But one villager told the BBC the army was present at the time of the deaths. Reports of a massacre at Haswiya emerged on Thursday from opposition and human rights activists, but they could not be verified immediately. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said women and children had been among 106 people killed by Assad forces. Some of the dead were burnt inside their homes while others were killed with knives and other weapons, the UK-based activist group said. It added that there were reports that whole families were executed, one of them made up of 32 members. “This needs to be investigated by the UN,” said Rami Abdul Rahman, director of the UK-based activist group. However, a government official in Damascus denied reports of a massacre. On Friday, the BBC’s Lyse Doucet was able to travel to Haswiya. When she arrived, Syrian army soldiers told her that all the bodies had already been taken away, but our correspondent found the scene of a vicious murder. Three charred bodies lay sprawled just inside one house. A trail of blood stained the cement, she reported. In the kitchen, where china teacups sat neatly on a shelf, more than a dozen bullet casings were scattered across a floor smeared with blood. In another room, two more burnt corpses were curled up next to a broken bed. Villagers, still visibly shocked, told the BBC that at least 100 people were killed that day. Soldiers who escorted the team to the area said hundreds of men from a militant Islamist rebel group, the al-Nusra Front, committed the killings. One woman told the BBC the same. But out of earshot of the official Syrian minders, another woman said the army was present at the time and that some soldiers even apologised for the murders, saying others had acted without orders. The SOHR said all of the dead appeared to be Sunnis.

Written by niqnaq

January 19, 2013 at 7:47 am

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 91 other followers