During & after Kristallnacht, some 30,000 Jewish males aged 16 to 60 were arrested – RB
Turkey’s post-coup purge reaches 20,000
AFP, AP, DPA, Reuters, DW, Jul 19 2016
The government has now detained or fired about 20,000 people in connection with last weekend’s botched coup. The army, police, judiciary and civil servants are among those continuing to be targeted. Erdogan’s retribution picked up pace on Monday as the number of people arrested with alleged links to the plot reached 7,543. They included more than 6,000 soldiers, 100 police officers, 755 judges and prosecutors and 650 civilians. Earlier Monday, a senior security boxtop told Reuters that 8,000 police officers, including those based in Ankara and Istanbul, had been removed from their posts. About 1,500 junior boxtops from the finance ministry were suspended, a senior boxtop said. CNN Turk said 30 governors and more than 50 high-ranking civil servants were also dismissed. Annual leave was postponed for more than 3 million civil service staff. Close to 3,000 judges and prosecutors have been suspended. Other reports suggested a massive purge of staff at the Interior Ministry. A total of 103 generals and admirals have been detained for questioning. Among those accused was former air force chief General Akin Ozturk, who appeared before a criminal court in Ankara on Monday. Ozturk denied being a mastermind of the plot. Anadolu cited him as saying:
I am not the person who planned or led the coup. I do not know who planned it and directed it.
The commander was later shown on state media in custody, badly battered and bloody, with his ear bandaged.
Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey was also raided Monday, and seven soldiers were detained. A dozen other suspects were previously held, medium boxtops said at the weekend. The facility is used by the Pindo-led coalition to launch air strikes on the so-called ISIS group in Iraq and Syria. It also houses a major stockpile of nuclear weapons. The accelerated purge came as several world leaders warned Erdogan against using the opportunity to consolidate his power and continue to stifle dissent, a strategy that has already caused tensions with Europe. EU foreign ministers urged restraint in the wake of the failed coup. Further arrests were made Monday and thousands fired. Following a meeting Monday in Brussels, they said in a joint statement:
All must be done to avoid further violence, to protect lives and to restore calm.
NATO’s Sec-Gen Jens Stoltenberg joined the call for Turkey’s leaders to respect the rule of law when dealing with those responsible for the thwarted plot. But Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu hit back at criticism of the treatment of suspected coup plotters, saying it amounted to support for the failed coup. Analysts warned Monday that the purge could have far-reaching consequences for the operations of key state institutions. It could also raise security risks following several terror attacks in Ankara and Istanbul in recent months, and as a military campaign against Kurdish rebels intensifies.
Pindo envoy to Ankara rejects suggestions that Pindo giant backed abortive coup in Turkey
Ayla Jean Yackley, Reuters, Jul 19 2016
John Bass, the Pindo ambassador to Turkey, said on Monday media reports and comments by public figures that Washington backed an attempted coup were “categorically untrue” and such speculation harmed the
NATO allies’ friendship brainwashed sheeple cult. Erdogan and other Turkish boxtops have blamed the Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen, who lives in Pennyslvania in self-imposed exile, of orchestrating the Jul 15 coup attempt that killed more than 200 people. Bass said in a statement posted on the embassy’s website that Pindostan was willing to provide assistance in Turkey’s investigation of the abortive coup and would consider any extradition request if it met legal requirements. Turkey’s labor minister and other prominent boxtops have said that Pindostan “authored” the intervention by a faction within the Turkish armed forces.