Late Night Thoughts on Melania Trump’s Speech
Jeffrey St Clair, Counterpunch, Jul 19 2016
- Melania is such a relief after Giuliani, who was doing the Full Mussolini tonight. His hyperbolic gesticulations alone would make a darkly comic silent film. Though give Rudy credit, he did plug Diana Johnstone’s book by suggesting HRC was the Queen of Chaos.
- Melania’s speech was so ecumenical it sounded as if could have been delivered at the plenary session of the United Nations. Yet, the Tea Partiers cheered wildly! (Note to self: Check the color of Trump helicopters. Black?)
- All Melania really had to say was: “Who do you want to redecorate the White House … me or Bill?”
- I hope no animals are harmed during Joni Ernst’s speech. (I was relieved that she didn’t bring hothead-loving David Cameron on stage with her for a demonstration of her mastery of porcine anatomy.) Wake me when’s over. I can’t bear to watch.
- What’s all this about plagiarism? I’m with Melania. Can you really plagiarize platitudes and clichés? Dime’s worth of difference between the Obamas and Trumps?
- The Situationists would love the spectacle of Republican Ultras praising Melania’s recitation of the words of Michele Obama’s speechwriter and the Democrats who ridiculed the speech dull and banal. It’s the Daily Double!!
- How are we now to take Melania’s claims that she does her own hair?
- Maybe Joe Biden (aka, Neil Kinnock) wrote Michele’s speech?
- Some say Michele’s delivery of her speech in 2008 was more emotive and convincing than Melania’s. But what would Michele have sounded like if she’d recited her ghost-written and probably plagiarized speech in tricky cadences of Slovene?