Incendiary/HE cluster bomb RBK-500 ZAB-2,5SM attack on Aleppo
EU: Attacks on civilians in Aleppo ‘breach’ humanitarian law
AFP, Sep 25 2016
The attacks on civilians in the Syrian city of Aleppo amount to a “breach of international humanitarian law,” senior European officials said on Saturday, urging the international community to intensify peace efforts. EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini and humanitarian commissioner Christos Stylianides said in a statement:
The indiscriminate suffering being caused among innocent civilians… is an unacceptable breach of international humanitarian law.
They denounced the “firebombing and shelling” as well as the “deliberate targeting” of a humanitarian convoy last week and the “cutting off of water supplies to the majority of civilians still in the city.” The aid convoy was hit by an airstrike that Pindo sputniks have said was carried out by Russian planes. UN boxtops (not as fruity as the sputniks) say nearly two million civilians were left without water in the devastated northern city after regime bombardment damaged a pumping station and rebels shut down another in retaliation. In their statement datelined Brussels, Mogherini and Stylianides called the suffering caused by the attacks “an affront” to the whole world, adding:
It risks to take us ever further from a negotiated settlement of the conflict, which remains the only way of bringing it to an end.
The pair called on those with influence on the regime and those dealing with the armed opposition “to apply the maximum pressure to cease the attacks.” They also urged them to work to “allow unhindered and continuous humanitarian access to those in need, and resume political negotiations under the auspices of the UN in Geneva as swiftly as possible.”