In Fiery, “Surreal” Press Conference, Trump Launches War On The Media
Tyler Durden, Zero Hedge, Feb 16 2017
President Trump blasted the “out-of-control dishonesty” of the mainstream media during a Thursday press conference, accusing reporters of distorting facts to help special interests.
At the start of a 90-minute session which was meant to introduce his new pick for Labor, Alexander Acosta, but turned into a fiery back-and-forth with members of the press, covering leaks to the media, Russian relations, immigration policy, the final fate of ObamaCare and a multitude of other subjects, Pres Trump opened his speech with what Bloomberg described as a 25-minute tirade, in which he pointed to the stock market’s performance as evidence of his early accomplishments. He mentioned that a Rasmussen poll found that he had 55% approval, and clarified that the economy has problems and they are Obama’s fault:
The stock market has hit record numbers, as you know. … I’m here today to update the Pindo sheeple on the incredible progress that’s been made the last four weeks since my inauguration. I see stories of chaos. It’s the exact opposite. This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine. There’s zero chaos. … I’m here again to take my message straight to the people. As you know, our administration inherited many problems across government, and across the economy. To be honest, I inherited a mess. It’s a mess. At home, and abroad, a mess. Jobs are pouring out of the country. You see what’s going on with all of the companies leaving our country, going to Mexico and other places: low pay, low wages, mass instability over seas, no matter where you look, the Middle East, a disaster. North Korea. We’ll take care of it, folks! We are going to take care of it all! I just wanted to let you know, I inherited a mess.
The president then gave a list of issues on which he has claimed victories and progress, including border security, combating Daesh, job creation and a reduction of government regulation. He said:
In each of these actions I’m keeping my promises to the Pindo sheeple. These are campaign promises.
He said the steps he’s taken in the four weeks since he was sworn in should surprise nobody, especially in the media. But the highlight was his all-out attack on the press:
I’m making this presentation directly to the Pindo sheeple with the media present, which is an honor to have you this morning, because many of our nation’s reporters and folks will not tell you the truth, and will not treat the wonderful people of our country with the respect that they deserve. Much of the media in Faschingstein, along with NY & LA in particular, speaks for the special interests and for those profiting off the obviously very, very broken system. The press has become so dishonest that if we don’t talk about it we are doing a tremendous disservice to the Pindo sheeple. Tremendous disservice. We have to talk about it. We have to find out what’s going on, because the press honestly is out of control. In other words, the media is trying to attack our administration, because they know we are following through on pledges that we made and they are not happy about it for whatever reasons. But a lot of people are happy about it. …
Here are some of the key exchanges with the members of the press corps:
- He warned that bad relations with Russia could result in nuclear war, as a way of explaining his attempt to remake relations with Pres Putin. “Nuclear holocaust would be like no other.”
- He signaled that he was softening on immigration policy, saying that he’d deal with Obama’s executive action unilaterally easing immigration law “with heart.”
- He said he did not “know of” any official on his presidential campaign having contact with Russian boxtops during the election.
- He said he’s instructed the DoJ to look into the leaks coming out of his administration.
- He said: “The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake, because so much of the news is fake,” he said.
- He scolded an Orthodox Jewish reporter for asking about rising anti-Semitism in Pindostan.
- He asked a Black reporter whether members of the Congressional Black Caucus are friends of hers.
- He predicted: “Tomorrow the headlines are going to be ‘Donald Trump rants.’ I’m not ranting and raving, I’m just telling you you’re dishonest people.”
Additionally noting that Mike Flynn “did nothing wrong”…
Trump then slammed reports of his advisers and associates being in contact with Russians during campaign:
It’s all fake news! I own nothing in Russia! I have no deals or loans there!
Some additional excerpts include:
“Drugs are becoming cheaper than candy bars”
“9th Circuit Court is in turmoil and chaos”
“The tone of media coverage is full of such hatred”
“I’m really not a bad person”
“I didn’t divide this country, it was divided when I got here”
“There are two Chicagos. One is posh, safe. One is crime-ridden”
“Rep Cummings said meeting Trump would be bad for him”
“I’m the least racist person, the least anti-semitic person around”
“The whole Russian thing is a ruse”
“Nuclear holocaust would be like no other”
- *TRUMP ON TRAVEL BAN SAYS WAS SMOOTH ROLLOUT BUT BAD COURT
- *TRUMP: DID TRAVEL BAN QUICKLY TO AVOID PEOPLE RUSHING IN
- *TRUMP TO REVISE TRAVEL ORDER IN NEAR FUTURE, DOJ SAYS: REUTERS
- *TRUMP ON IMMIGRATION ACTION: TAILORED TO 9TH CIRCUIT DECISION
- *TRUMP: WE’LL SHOW `GREAT HEART’ ON DACA PROGRAM
- *TRUMP SAYS WILL HAVE TO CONVINCE PEOPLE ON DACA SOLUTION
- *TRUMP: SAYS PEOPLE WOULD CHEER HIM BLOWING UP RUSSIA SHIP
- *TRUMP: BLOWING UP RUSSIAN SUB OFF U.S. WOULDN’T BE GOOD MOVE
- *TRUMP: PUTIN MAY ASSUME HE CAN’T MAKE DEAL W/ ME
- *TRUMP: EASIER TO BE TOUGH ON RUSSIA, BUT WE WOULDN’T MAKE DEAL
- *TRUMP: I UNDERSTAND WHAT RUSSIA’S DOING MILITARILY
- *TRUMP: I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO RUSSIA DEAL; AT LEAST I TRIED
Trump explained the Russian reset as follows:
Trump was challenged on the electoral college votes:
Summing it all up: