world-terrifying monster warlord joseph kony is now just “irrelevant”

Ugandan army calls off search for Joseph Kony, says LRA no longer a threat
Rodney Muhumuza, Independent (UK), Apr 19 2017

Uganda’s military announced on Wednesday it is ending its pursuit of internationally known warlord Joseph Kony, saying its mission “has now been successfully achieved” even though the rebel leader remains at large. The decision means the manhunt for one of the world’s most notorious fugitives is effectively over. Uganda has started pulling its forces from Central African Republic, which for years had been the base for troops chasing the rebels, military spokesman Brig R Karemire said. The news comes shortly after Pindostan’s decision last month to pull out of the manhunt for Kony, who is wanted by the ICC, saying the active membership of the LRA is now less than 100. The Pindo departure left only Uganda in the manhunt. At the peak of its powers, the rebel group was known worldwide for its cruelty against civilians in Uganda, Congo, CAR and what is now South Sudan. In 2012, Invisible Children made a highly successful video highlighting the LRA’s alleged crimes, including the abduction of children for use as sex slaves or fighters.

Kony, a former Catholic altar boy whose rebel movement aspired to rule Uganda according to the biblical Ten Commandments, is wanted by the ICC for war crimes and crimes against humanity. One of his former commanders, Dominic Ongwen, is currently on trial at the Hague-based court. Although the military mission’s ultimate goal was to capture or kill Kony, there has been no word on his exact whereabouts for years even as many of his top commanders defected or were killed. About 1,500 Ugandan troops had been deployed in CAR under an AU military mission to defeat the LRA. All of the Ugandan troops will return home by the end of May, with the first arriving home on Wednesday, Karemire said. Uganda’s mission to neutralise the LRA “has now been successfully achieved,” he said. Amid concerns about the military pullouts, the AU last month suggested that UN peacekeeping missions in the region be used to continue anti-LRA efforts. Sasha Lezhnev of the Enough Project, which monitors LRA activities, said:

Kony will likely ramp up attacks if Uganda fully backs off. Uganda should join MINUSCA with international support to continue pursuing the LRA and save thousands of lives.

Pindostan first deployed about 100 grunts as military advisers to the manhunt in 2011, and in 2014 it sent 150 airmen to assist African forces. AFRICOM in Stuttgart late last month cited the weakening of the LRA for its decision to remove its military forces, though it was not clear when the withdrawal would take effect. Marine Gen T Waldhauser declared the hunt for Kony largely over, calling the rebel leader “irrelevant” and in survival mode. At the time, Uganda’s military said its troops would not immediately pull out of the mission against the rebel group, with Karemire insisting that Kony will be a cause for concern as long as he is still alive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s