the english army had just won the war

UK government and military accused of war crimes cover-up
BBC, Nov 17 2019

Panorama, War Crimes Scandal Exposed is on BBC One at 21:00 today, Nov 18. No video yet on YouTube etc – RB

The UK government and armed forces have been accused of covering up the killing of civilians by British troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. An investigation by BBC Panorama and the Sunday Times has spoken to 11 British detectives who said they found credible evidence of war crimes. Soldiers should have been prosecuted for the killings, say insiders. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said it rejected the unsubstantiated allegation of a pattern of cover-ups. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told the BBC:

All of the allegations, that had evidence, have been looked at.

He said “the right balance” had been struck over decisions whether or not to investigate alleged war crimes. The new evidence has come from inside the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT), which investigated alleged war crimes committed by British troops during the occupation of Iraq, and Operation Northmoor, which investigated alleged war crimes in Afghanistan.

British soldiers approach a Chinook helicopter in the Nahr-e Saraj district, Helmand Province, Afghanistan

The government decided to close IHAT and Operation Northmoor, after Phil Shiner, a lawyer who had taken more than 1,000 cases to IHAT, was struck off as a solicitor following allegations he had paid fixers in Iraq to find clients. But former detectives from IHAT and Operation Northmoor said Phil Shiner’s actions were used as an excuse to close down criminal investigations. None of the cases investigated by IHAT or Operation Northmoor resulted in a prosecution. One IHAT detective told Panorama:

The Ministry of Defence had no intention of prosecuting any soldier of whatever rank he was unless it was absolutely necessary, and they couldn’t wriggle their way out of it.

Another former detective said the victims of war crimes had been badly let down:

I use the word disgusting. And I feel for the families because they’re not getting justice. How can you hold your head up as a British person?

Panorama has re-examined the evidence in a number of alleged war crimes cases. One such case investigated by IHAT was the shooting of an Iraqi policeman by a British soldier on patrol in Basra in 2003.

Raid al-Mosawi was serving as an Iraqi policeman in Basra when he was shot dead.

Raid al-Mosawi was shot in an alleyway as he left his family home, and later died from his wounds. The incident was investigated at the time by the British soldier’s commanding officer, Maj Christopher Suss-Francksen. Within 24 hours, Maj Suss-Francksen concluded the shooting was lawful because the Iraqi police officer had fired first and the soldier had acted in self-defence. His report said another British soldier had seen the shooting and confirmed the Iraqi had fired first. IHAT detectives spent two years investigating the case and interviewed 80 British soldiers, including the soldier who had supposedly witnessed the shooting. But he told detectives he was not in the alleyway. In his statement to IHAT, this soldier directly contradicted Maj Suss-Francksen’s report:

This report is inaccurate and gives the impression that I was an eyewitness. This is not true.

Raid’s brother shows where the soldier was when he fired the fatal shot.

The soldier said he had only heard one shot, which suggested the policeman had not fired at all. This was confirmed by other witnesses interviewed by IHAT. Detectives concluded the soldier who shot Raid should be prosecuted for killing the Iraqi police officer and Maj Suss-Francksen should be charged with covering up what happened. But military prosecutors have not taken anyone to court. Maj Suss-Francksen’s lawyer said:

My client has not seen the IHAT material and is unable to offer any comment on the quality or reliability of the evidence gathered by the IHAT investigators or why it was insufficient to satisfy a prosecution of any soldier under UK law.

Operation Northmoor was set up by the government in 2014 and looked into 52 alleged illegal killings. Its closure was announced by the government before Royal Military Police detectives even had a chance to interview the key Afghan witnesses. One Northmoor detective said:

I wouldn’t write off a job until I have spoken to both parties. If you are writing off a job and the only thing you have got is the British account, how is that an investigation? My view is that every one of those deaths deserved to be examined and due process of law to take place.

The MoD said military operations are conducted in accordance with the law and there had been an extensive investigation of allegations. A spox told the BBC:

Investigations and decisions to prosecute are rightly independent from the MoD and have involved external oversight and legal advice. After careful consideration of referred cases, the independent Service Prosecuting Authority decided not to prosecute. The BBC’s claims have been passed to the Service Police and the Service Prosecuting Authority who remain open to considering allegations.

Quizzed about the allegations on the Andrew Marr Show on Sunday, Mr Raab said the UK wanted “to have accountability where there’s wrongdoing.” Foreign Sec Dominic Raab told Andrew Marr that prosecuting authorities for the British armed forces are “some of the most rigorous.” He said:

What we’re quite rightly doing is making sure spurious claims or claims without evidence don’t lead to the shadow of suspicion, the cloud of suspicion hanging over people who have served their country for years on end – and we’ve got the right balance.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Andrew Marr show

Raab refused to be drawn on whether these claims were new to him, and said that prosecuting authorities for the British armed forces are “some of the most rigorous in the world.” Meanwhile, a lawyer who has represented several soldiers investigated by IHAT, dismissed the claims of war crimes as “flawed, baseless and biased.” Hilary Meredith, chair of Hilary Meredith Solicitors, said the claims were a “witch hunt against our brave servicemen” which “had no credibility whatsoever.” She added:

Solicitor Phil Shiner, who masterminded countless false claims, was struck off the role of solicitors for good reason: he was found guilty of charges including dishonesty over false witness accounts about UK soldiers’ actions.

 
War crimes court considers investigation into British military
PA, Nov 18 2019

The international criminal court may investigate the British military for the first time after allegations that war crimes had been committed, the BBC has reported. The broadcaster’s Panorama programme has claimed killings of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq have been covered up by the state. The Ministry of Defence said the allegations were unsubstantiated. Leaked documents allegedly contain evidence implicating British troops in the killing of children and torture of civilians. A BBC/Sunday Times inquiry said it had obtained new evidence from the Iraq historic allegations team (IHAT) that investigated alleged war crimes committed by British soldiers in Iraq, and Operation Northmoor, which investigated alleged war crimes in Afghanistan. The government closed IHAT and Operation Northmoor in 2017, after Phil Shiner, a solicitor who had taken more than 1,000 cases to Ihat, was struck off from practising law amid allegations that he had paid people in Iraq to find clients. But some former IHAT and Operation Northmoor investigators said Shiner’s actions were used as an excuse to close the inquiries. No case investigated by Ihat or Operation Northmoor has led to a prosecution. The ICC said it took the accusations “very seriously”, according to the BBC. The corporation said on Monday morning:

The ICC said it would independently assess the BBC’s findings and begin a landmark case if it believed the government was shielding soldiers from prosecution.

The court has previously concluded it was credible that British troops committed war crimes in Iraq related to the mistreatment of detainees. The year-long investigation claims to have found evidence of murders by an SAS soldier, as well as deaths in custody, beatings, torture and sexual abuse of detainees by members of the Black Watch. A senior SAS commander was referred to prosecutors for attempting to pervert the course of justice, investigators claimed. Panorama Investigation: War Crimes Scandal Exposed will be screened on BBC One at 9pm on Monday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.