despite the double-bluff of the discredited study seeming to vindicate it, hcq still does not work & is dangerous

Hydroxychloroquine does not cure COVID-19, say drug trial chiefs
Sarah Boseley, Groon, Jun 5 2020

Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) does not work against COVID-19 and should not be given to any more hospital patients around the world, say the leaders of the biggest and best-designed trial of the drug, which experts will hope finally settle the question. Martin Landray, the deputy chief investigator of the Recovery trial and professor of medicine and epidemiology at Oxford University, said:

If you are admitted to hospital, don’t take hydroxychloroquine. It doesn’t work.

Many countries have permitted emergency use of the drug for COVID-19 patients in hospitals, following claims from a few doctors, including Didier Raoult in France, that it was a cure and the ensuing clamour from the public. Pres Trump backed the drug, saying it should be given to patients and later said he was personally taking it to protect himself from the virus. Landray said the hype should now stop. He said:

It is being touted as a game-changer, a wonderful drug, a breakthrough. This is an incredibly important result, because worldwide we can stop using a drug that is useless.

The first results from the Recovery trial, which has been testing seven therapies for COVID-19, swiftly followed the retraction of a paper in the Lancet medical journal on Thursday night that claimed HCQ was linked to an increased risk of death in COVID-19 patients. The authors of the paper withdrew it after the Pindo company Surgisphere refused to cooperate with an independent audit of the data it had supplied for the study. A Guardian investigation had showed serious errors in the data and raised questions about Surgisphere and its CEO. Supporters of the drug hailed the paper’s retraction, but the WHO and countries that have authorised use of the drug will now be looking again and are likely to change their position. The Recovery trial is a “gold standard” randomised controlled trial, designed to find an answer to a question by recruiting equal numbers of patients in similar circumstances either to take the drug or to take a placebo. Their doctors and the researchers do not know which ones are on the genuine trial drug. Because of the furore over the Lancet paper, the Medicines and Health-Care Products Regulatory Agency asked the trial’s independent monitoring board to look at the latest data. The board revealed the findings to the researchers, recommending the HCQ arm of the trial should be stopped. Since March, when the trial began, a total of 1,542 patients had been randomised to get HCQ, while 3,132 patients were randomised to usual care alone. Over 28 days, 25.7% of patients on HCQ died, compared with 23.5% of the others. The difference is not statistically significant. It could have arisen by chance. But the clear result is that HCQ did not work, said the researchers. Peter Horby, professor of emerging infectious diseases and global health at the University of Oxford, said they had informed the WHO, which had just restarted its HCQ trials after pausing them because of the Lancet paper. That was an observational study, comparing patients in hospitals who happened to have been treated with the drug with others who had not. He said:

One of the key lessons we should learn historically is that making treatment decisions based on observational data is not the way forward.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.