fragments of censorship (products preserved on twitter)

NBC pulls ‘Nurses’ episode accused of being anti-Semitic
Nadine DeNinno, NY Post, Feb 24 2021

NBC has reportedly pulled an episode of the show “Nurses” after backlash from critics who said a scene was anti-Semitic. The season finale, Deadline reported, was pulled from the network’s digital platforms as Jewish organizations criticized a scene in which an Orthodox Jewish character named Israel refuses a bone graft for his leg during a hospital stay. “The graft, where does it come from?” the character asks before a medical pro explains the graft would be “harvested from a deceased donor” so that he would be able to “walk again.” “A dead goyim leg … from an Arab, a woman,” the patient’s father says in the clip, to which a nurse responds: “Oh, God forbid, an Arab woman.” The scene received criticism from national Jewish groups like the Simon Wiesenthal Center and StopAntisemitism.org.

The scene first aired Feb 9, according to The Hollywood Reporter, and was initially called out by the website Jew in the City. NBC has not returned The Post’s request for comment. However, an anonymous source from the network told Deadline that they have been contacted by several Jewish groups regarding the episode and “were keen to have conversations with them about the topic.” The Canadian series is produced by ICF Films and eOne in association with Corus Entertainment, according to Deadline, and was used by NBC “to fill a hole in a primetime lineup that had been derailed by the coronavirus pandemic.” The NBC source also told the outlet it will not re-air the episode again, but footage still remains on Twitter. The uproar over “Nurses” comes just days after NBC’s sketch show “Saturday Night Live” aired a “Weekend Update” skit about the COVID-19 vaccine that critics also dubbed anti-Semitic. Michael Che said in the joke:

Israel is reporting that they’ve vaccinated half of their population. I’m going to guess it’s the Jewish half.

YouTube Rejects Consortium News Appeal
Joe Lauria, Consortium News, Feb 26 2021

YouTube has rejected an appeal by Consortium News, has refused to restore an episode of CN Live! it banned and will maintain a week-long suspension and a strike against CN’s YouTube channel. With three strikes, CN Live! could have its channel, with hundreds of videos, deleted. YouTube wrote:

We have reviewed your appeal for the following content:
Video: CN Live! S2E26 Voter Suppression in Georgia – with Greg Palast
We reviewed your content carefully, and have confirmed that it violates our spam, deceptive practices and scams policy. We know this is probably disappointing news, but it’s our job to make sure that YouTube is a safe place for all.
How this affects your channel

  • We won’t be putting your content back up on YouTube.
  • If your appeal was for a warning, you will not be given another warning in the future.
  • If your appeal was for a strike, the strike will remain on your channel.

YouTube’s statement that it “carefully” “reviewed” the episode is patently untrue. A careful review of the episode, which aired on Jan 14, would have clearly demonstrated that the program was about voter suppression in the Jan 5 Senate run-off elections in Georgia. It begins with a clip showing Trump supporters claiming voter fraud in the November election, but after 1m19s goes on to refute that claim, reporting instead that voter suppression by Republicans had taken place in Georgia. It is literally impossible that anyone at YouTube could have watched even ten minutes of the video and come to their conclusion. The YouTube-banned episode can be watched in its entirety here on Twitter:

YouTube said that Consortium News had violated this policy:

Spam, deceptive practices and scams: Content that advances false claims that widespread fraud, errors, or glitches changed the outcome of the US 2020 presidential election is not allowed on YouTube.

It appears that just reporting on claims that the 2020 election was stolen, without supporting those claims, is enough for either a YouTube algorithm or human reviewer to banish a video. Media outlets including the NYT, CNN and other mainstream media, when reporting on the 2020 election, mention or show video of Donald Trump and his supporters making their claim of a stolen election before saying that the claim is untrue. In this story just four days ago, CNN showed a video clip of Trump saying the election was stolen. The report quoted Justice Clarence Thomas saying election fraud is real. CNN and numerous television outlets repeatedly aired parts of Trump’s Jan 6 speech in which he claimed the election was stolen. This is precisely the kind of reporting CN engaged in for about one minute of an hour-long program. Consortium News‘ CN Live! had been planning a debate between a supporter and detractor of the claim that the election was stolen. Clearly that would bring a second strike against Consortium News. It is a particular affront to imply that Consortium News has made YouTube an unsafe place for its viewers. YouTube should clearly not be engaged in censoring news reports on behalf of a US political party, which now controls both houses of Congress and the White House. With this incident YouTube has clearly shown it is incompetent to carry out the task it should not have been given in the first place.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.