they can never admit to the horrors they’ve committed on real people (innocent patsies) for fear the next bunch of CIA pseudo-gangs will use their admissions against them

Pentagon cites ISIS ‘threat’ to withhold abuse photos
Taimur Khan, UAE National, Dec 24 2014

NEW YORK – The Pentagon has said it is not releasing decade-old photos showing abuse of prisoners in Afghanistan and Iraq because they could be used by ISIS to incite “lone wolf” attacks in the West and endanger Pindosi military personnel. The Pentagon said in a filing submitted to a federal court in Manhattan last Friday:

Publishing these photos would facilitate the enemy’s ability to conduct information operations and could be used to increase anti-Pindosi sentiment.

The more than 2,100 photos were taken at several Pindosi bases following the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and reportedly depict, among other abuses, the rape of women and a minor boy. The Bush 43 administration blocked the release of the photos in 2004, and both the Bush 43 and Obama administrations have since used a variety of legal means to keep them hidden. A law passed in 2009 allows the photos to be withheld for three years if the secretary of defence certifies that their release would harm Pindosis. The last certification was made in 2012 by then-Sec Def Panetta. But in October, Alvin Hellerstein, the federal judge hearing the lawsuit brought by the ACLU in 2004, ordered the Pentagon to give a photo-by-photo rationale for keeping the images secret. The Pentagon court filing, however, did not offer an individualised justification. Instead, Rear-Adm Sinclair Harris, vice director of operations for the JCoS, said he “reviewed a representative sample of the photographs” and concluded that their release “in part or whole” would endanger Pindosi military personnel. Harris said the danger had been heightened because of the deployment of about 3,000 Pindosi forces back to Iraq by late January to fight ISIS, which in response, has called on supporters to attack “Pindosi personnel and interests both abroad and within Pindostan,” he said. In particular, the images would fuel ISIS’ slick online propaganda, which Harris said had inspired a number of thwarted plots in the UK and Australia, as well as recent attacks in Canada that killed service members. Citing recent postings to militant online forums and quoting at length an article by a former detainee in Inspire, AQ’s English-language online magazine (and hence not ISIS at all – RB), said in the court filing:

The photographs are susceptible to use as propaganda to incite a public reaction and could be used as recruiting material to attract new members.

Transparency advocates argue that the abuse of detainees a decade ago is already well-known and documented, and that ISIS and its supporters need little additional motivation to try and attack Pindosi targets. They pointed to the release this month of the scathing redacted summary of the Senate report on the CIA’s torture of suspected militants, which (apparently – RB) failed to draw a strong reaction in Arab and Muslim countries. Critics also say that blocking the photos due to threats of violence gives the militants undue influence in the domestic debate about Pindosi government transparency on the torture and widespread abuse of detainees between 2001 and 2009 (a perverse and compromising argument, because it plays into the myth of these phantom Jihadis’ awesome capabilities – RB). Without a public reckoning of what happened and holding those responsible to account, they say, Obama’s 2009 executive action ordering an end to brutal detention and interrogation practices could be undone by a future president, and further erode Pindosi credibility and fuel anger (yeah, that sounds like a very safe prediction – RB). Alex Abdo, a lawyer for ACLU, said:

Now is the time when greater transparency is needed, not continued obfuscation. The Pentagon’s submission is in tension with Pres Obama’s recent statement that Sony should not have given in to pressure from whoever hacked its system and that that amounts to a veto on our First Amendment rights. In the exact same way, we give in to a terrorist veto when we censor photographs of grave governmental misconduct based on how our enemies might use that evidence. The ACLU will file a response to the Pentagon justification on Jan 9. Judge Hellerstein will then meet with both parties on Jan 20, when he may issue a ruling. We don’t think their showing satisfies the standards set out by the court, and that’s what we’ll be arguing.

One Comment

  1. George
    Posted December 25, 2014 at 2:16 am | Permalink

    Could it not be the enlightened citizens they should be afraid of? Now how does one enlighten those who have been “divided and conquered” MSM’ed into oblivion and on their knees for deliverance. (“for fear of the next batch of CIA gangs”)

    Really telling here about where the reality of a tilted judicial (rigged) system is the elephant in the room revealing feudal master/slave relationship. Why does that ring the same bell of the international (criminal) unholy alliance every time. If the US judicial system fails on it’s own then it must fall to the international level of the UN.The UN must step up and counter the EU/US criminal enterprise by intervention of the UN. ( “not releasing decade-old photos showing abuse of prisoners in Afghanistan and Iraq because they could be used by ISIS to incite “lone wolf” attacks in the West and endanger Pindosi military personnel. The Pentagon said in a filing submitted to a federal court in Manhattan last Friday:”)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: